The Academic Intensive English Program is designed to prepare non-native English speakers for university or graduate school in the United States. Students in this full-time program may qualify for an F-1 international student visa.
Students receive 20 hours per week of core instruction in writing, reading, listening and speaking. Students also choose an elective from the General ESL or ESL Test Prep programs. Electives may include: grammar, vocabulary and idioms, academic vocabulary, pronunciation, accent reduction, public speaking, understanding the business world, American pop culture, iBT TOEFL preparation, and CUNY Assessment Test (CAT-W and CAT-R) preparation.
The Academic Intensive English Program also provides a variety of services, support, and activities:
• Academic and immigration counseling
• Access to the university's library, computer labs, and gym
• Workshops on US higher education, international student scholarships, volunteering, and more
• Culture hour with guest speakers and language games
• Discussion club
• ESL showcase, summer festivals, and winter carnival
• Student newsletter
• Field trips to NYC museums, parks, Broadway shows, and other cultural attractions
All students registering for any ESL program are required to take our placement test.